-->

Monday, September 22, 2014

Movie Monday #2: Prince Of Thieves/The Town

I have to admit Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan is one of my all-time favorite books. I actually came across this novel at a book sale my university was hosting. It was only .25 cents, so I didn't expect much of it. When I got around to reading it I was immediately thrust into the world of Doug MacRay and his hometown of Charlestown, Boston. The book is full of rugged dialogue and vivid characters.

Doug is a career thief with dreams of retiring, but his best friend, Jem, the antagonist, has other plans for Doug's life. Jem wants to keep Doug right where he is, continually living the Town lifestyle and dating Jem's abhorrent sister, Krista (I believe that was her name).

In hindsight I realize why I'm so infatuated with this book. I love a story told through an anti-protagonist's eyes. It makes for an unpredictable story. I would definitely recommend this book (and I have to everyone I know). Now, the movie is another story...


The Town directed by and starring Ben Affleck leaves a lot to be desired. The biggest problem I had with the movie is SPOILER ALERT Affleck changes the ending. The ending in the book is heart wrenching and memorable, but in the movie Affleck gets to ride off into the sunset. Basically, the book is a tragedy and the movie is a... I don't know. Let's just say Affleck should leave the cheesy endings to Disney. 

Prince Of Thieves
The Town

 photo signature8_zpse0d9edd5.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment